Saturday, May 28, 2011

Forest Park and the Boathouse

Summer has officially started for us. And what a fun start is has been! Hailey finished up school this week, and Casey had Friday off to kick off the holiday weekend. The kids wanted to go to the Zoo. We did go to Forest Park (home to the Zoo), but got distracted by some site seeing.

And I'm so glad we did! We walked through part of the park, which we never do since we're usually so focused on our destination. Then we rented a paddle boat (Yay for checking an item off the bucket list) and ate at the Boathouse.

Forest Park was home to the 1904 World's Fair, which inspired the movie Meet Me in St. Louis (sorry, I have an obsession with old movies). The park houses a couple of museums, the Zoo, the Science Center, the Muny and much more. As much as I love visiting those places, some times I forget just how beautiful the park is, so it was nice to go exploring.





We explored our way to the Boathouse and rented a paddle boat. It cost us $15 for an hour, which I think is very reasonable. The kids loved it! So did I, even if it was exercise. 


Brenton loved seeing all the birds and insisted we stalk this crane.




Then we finished off our adventures with lunch at the Boathouse restaurant.
It was delicious (and reasonably priced, always a plus). The kids loved the Fish and Chips, which I thought was very appropriate for a boathouse adventure.

2 comments:

The Singer Family said...

Fun stuff lady and welcome back! I think we have to add Grant's Farm to our St. Louis list this summer--I've never taken the kids. Heck, I've never taken them to the top of the arch either--what kind of parent am I?
See you soon!!!!!

Jen@Because I can said...

Looks fun! We have been meaning to go do the paddle boats and now you have inspired us to actually do it!