Monday, May 30, 2011

In Honor of Memorial Day: A Visit to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery

I had never been to a national cemetery until my husband's grandfather was buried in Jefferson Barracks. Even in its simplicity, I find it majestic and beautiful. For Memorial Day the scouts in the area put flags in front of all the graves. We always try to visit during the weekend to see the flags and to remind our children why we celebrate Memorial Day. Thank you to all the soldiers and their families who serve our country.

Our family likes to take drives, so we actually drive through the cemetery on a regular basis. I guess I should clarify, for my husband a drive means looking for deer. There are plenty of deer to be found in the cemetery in the evenings. Sunday, we saw lots of deer, including this buck. If you look carefully you can see he's got something behind him.

A few minutes later that something curled up next to a headstone. It was the smallest baby deer I've ever seen.

1 comment:

Jen@Because I can said...

That is the cutest baby deer ever!