Monday, July 11, 2011

Crown Candy Kitchen

Grandpa and Grandma are here, which calls for some St. Louis fun! I had a whole adventurous day planned for last Friday, but then they had some major delays at the airport and didn't end up getting here until Friday afternoon. I was still determined to cross something off our bucket list, so we headed from the airport to Crown Candy Kitchen for a very late lunch.

When I searched for "must eat" places to eat in St. Louis, Crown Candy came up several times. Opened in 1913, the Crown Candy Kitchen is one of St. Louis's oldest soda fountains and most popular places for desserts. We were even in line next to a family from Michigan that comes every year and told us the wait was worth it. These are just some of it's most recent recognitions above Ethan's head, thanks to the boys wanting their pictures taken random places.

However, one of the Crown Candy Kitchen's biggest claim to fame (in my opinion) is being featured on The Travel Channel's Man vs. Food. I love that show! The food always looks so good! And how is Adam not 500 hundred pounds after eating all that food? Crown Candy has a challenge of finishing 5 of their old fashion malts in 1/2 hour. We had 4 milk shakes at our table of seven and still left milkshake there.

Maybe it's because the kids had already devoured this tasty Sunday...

Or because there was probably a pound of bacon on my BLT! Fifteen years ago I would have been all over that much bacon, now I had to enlist my kids to help me eat it.

The restaurant has fun decor from the past! I should have taken more pictures, but I was a little cramped. It was not built to accommodate a group of our size unless it's not busy (which I don't know when that would be). The place is true to it's roots and I'm sure has never been enlarged, so it's not very big. Lots of fun, but tiny.

And if you haven't guessed from it's name, they also have lots of candy! They make there own chocolate candy, but since it was hot we stuck with the kind of candy that doesn't melt.

This is a fun place to eat! The food is good and I would have loved to have tried more desserts!


3 comments:

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

Ummm, yum! Loving living vicariously through all your adventures!

Jen@Because I can said...

Yeah, we need to go there! Just not when we have family visiting! :)

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm, I think I need to start a bucket list, what a great idea!