Thursday, September 8, 2011

Soulard Farmers Market

We packed a lot into our Labor Day weekend... Friends, a movie, the park, the boys went hunting, Hailey danced at a football game, and I even have a couple Saint Louis adventures to blog about!

Saturday morning, Nanny and Papa met us at Soulard Farmers Market! I had taken the kids by myself on a Friday before school started, but I wanted the full experience of a Saturday when everything was open. During the week you can do three kids and one adult, but Saturdays require reinforcements. Casey was busy with some things for church, so I was glad Casey's parents wanted to join us.

Soulard Market has a long history in Saint Louis. Starting in 1779, farmers had gathered in what was first a flat meadow to sell produce.

In the 1800's a building was added. Nearly destroyed by a tornado, the original building was replaced in the early 1900's.



We had lots of fun when went over the summer. However, there was one real reason I wanted to return. The best of the fried and delicious food was closed.


I didn't get pictures of the pastries, but they were heavenly. Yes, fresh fruits and vegetables make up a large part of the market,

but I believe in a balanced life.

The Market is open Wednesday through Saturday. On Wednesday through Friday, only some of the spots are open, but Saturday every spot is opened. On Friday there was lots of produce to choose from, meat, spices, the pet store was open, a little bit of jewelry, and some different things here and there. Saturday there was all that plus clothes, live animals (not pet store animals, but chickens and ducks) and lots of people. It's kind of like entering a whole new world.

Here are some of my favorite purchases from our visits, besides the donuts and pastries.  When I was growing up we lived near a cheese factory that we often visited to watch them make the cheese and buy "squeaky" cheese. I don't think the cheese squeaks any more, but I still almost bought another bag this weekend.

This our yellow watermelon purchase. I should have taken a picture when I was cutting it open. It looks like a regular watermelon, but it's yellow inside. It tastes like watermelon too, but a little sweeter.

I also bought sensible items like sweet potatoes and peppers, but they aren't as fun to talk about.

And though my kids don't usually approve of shopping adventures (that don't involve buying toys or stuff only for them), they do approve of any place with a park. And there is a park right next door.



No comments: