Sunday, May 27, 2012

Visit a Book, Great Parks, and Some More Adventures

The kids are out of school, and summer has officially started at our house! It started with a bang. We've already been bowling, to the zoo, and camping. I feel tired already and we just started.

We have several adventures planned for the summer, some new and many repeats (so check back often).

I've also decided to check out some new parks. You know, the ones you've heard off, but never go to, or the ones you wish someone would tell you about.  After some research, I've picked out five.
Tilles Park
Shaw Park
Longview Farm Park
City Garden
Deer Creek Park
Actually, we've down the City Garden before, but I would like to try it again prepared (it really kills any park experience when you spend 1/2 hour looking for a bathroom). Plus, I'll spotlight some of our already favorites.  Am I missing any great parks? Please let me know.

I'm also going to try to Visit a Book with my kids. We would spend a week or two reading a classic (or not so classic) out loud and then visit something related to the book.  I love this idea, but I think it could cost me a fortune (gas and attractions wise). These are my ideas so far, but I would love any other ideas, especially since I'm running into many roadblocks.
My Side of the Mountain - Camping
Little House on the Prairie series - Visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder Homestead (Unfortunately, this is like 3 hours away)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer - Visit Mark Twain's hometown of Hannibal, MO
Julie of the Wolves - Endangered Wolf Center
Treasure Island - St. Louis Pirate Festival (Unfortunately, this event has been cancelled until 2014)
Magic Tree House: Abe Lincoln at Last and it's companion Fact Tracker - Visit Lincoln Sites in Springfield, IL (I love Springfield, but I think I'll only pull this one off if my my parents visit)
This educational experience for my children is sounding expensive, maybe I'll just stick to all that free, awesome stuff in St. Louis. We are doing the Shakespeare Festival in Forest Park again, but I think I'll wait and let them read that themselves in high school.

3 comments:

The Singer Family said...

I think there is a magic tree house shakespeare book. That might work! Sounds fun. Save a park for our visit if you want! :)

KATINA KARAS STUART said...

Kelly,

What a great mom you are!

Mindy said...

Hey, I remember that trip to the city garden! I was so mad at that guy at the desk who wouldn't let your kid use his dunb bathroom! And then I felt bad about dragging you guys downtown and not having such a great time.

I miss you guys! I wish we were there sharing your great adventures with you.