Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site

I like history. I don't always remember much of it, but I enjoy it. That's why I was surprised when I realized I had never been to the Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site. Grant was the 18th president of the United States and a instumental in the North winning the Civil War.

Brenton was doing a baseball camp this week near the Historic Site, so Hailey, Ethan and I headed to the Historic Site for a morning. I figured Hailey would be up for the trip. She loves museums, even museums I don't love (which means most kids wouldn't either).  And she remembers what she learns. A couple weeks ago she started a conversation with her young cousins with, "Have you heard the story about the 16 year old girl who was pregnant?" (AAHHHH!) "Her name was Sacajawea." Thank you Lewis and Clark Expansion Museum. Luckily, when she filled in Brenton about our trip to the Grant Historic Site it didn't include any awkward details.

The Site is rather small, but peaceful. We watched a movie, toured the White Heaven House, and checked out the small museum in the stable Grant had built.

This is White Heaven. It was the actually the home of his wife's, Julia Dent, family. Interestingly, Julia's father owned slaves who worked this property and considered himself a true southern gentlemen. Now that would be some in-law tension. The Grant's courted here, lived here off and on, and later bought the property.

The Museum in the stable includes this buggy.

The museum also had dress ups from different countries in honor of the Grant's 2-year tour around the world after his presidency.

Hailey's favorite part was becoming a Jr. Park Ranger (Yes, the site is part of the National Park Service). She completed activities in a booklet while we toured the site. She enjoyed the whole thing and is convinced Brenton would have loved it too. Ethan, well, I'm not sure he'll let me take him back.

No comments: