Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gioia's Deli on The Hill

For years, people told me about the great Italian restaurants on The Hill. For years, I envisioned a beautiful hill lined with Italian restaurants on the top and wondered where this Hill could possible be since I had never seen it. Last year, my husband finally took me to The Hill for the first time. I kinda wonder what took him so long since I know very few people that like pasta as much I do (oh, maybe it's because he doesn't like pasta, oh well). Anyway, it's not the hill envisioned (though the real one makes way more sense). And I've driven past it for years, when I went to the zoo, the botanical gardens, etc. Because this the only way you would know you are The Hill (and the similarly colored fire hydrants).

So, I was a little disappointed in the appearance of The Hill (though the small, well kept houses are nice), but I have enjoyed the food. Casey and I have now gone to Cunetto's  twice, and I welcome any other recommendations.

After the Science Center, the kids and I met up with Casey for lunch on The Hill. I did a search for kid friendly on the Hill and Gioia's Deli popped up. It had rave reviews, so we tried it out.

They are famous for their hot salami. The girl that made our sandwiches said they sell between 500-800 pounds of salami a week. I don't usually eat salami sandwiches, but since it's what they are known for, I gave it try. It was pretty good. Hailey liked it, too. Casey got a roast beef sandwich to share with the boys. He said it was good. Ethan didn't like the roast beef, but he would eat salami from my sandwich.


It was a fun lunch with dad. There is a small park across the street (we had to use the park bathrooms since Gioia's doesn't have a public restroom), but since the temperature isn't exactly park friendly we didn't play on it. Maybe next time.

No comments: