Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gus' Pretzels

Gus' Pretzels are a "St. Louis Tradition." They are everywhere. My mother-in-law remembers when they sold them on the corner of the road with newspapers. Hailey's been eating them at Brenton's baseball game where they sell them as a fundraiser.

I kinda feel bad saying this, but I don't really care fom them. They are a little harder and chewier than I prefer. However, I respect tradition while exploring St. Louis, so we visited the St. Louis famous pretzel shop last week.

You can watch them make pretzels at the shop. And they make tons because even if I'm not eating them, a whole lot of St. Louis is.

We decided to sweeten it up with cinnamon and sugar pretzels. Sugar helps most things, right? Ethan and Brenton even ate theirs (Ethan won't eat a regular Gus' pretzel and Brenton doesn't really care for any pretzel). Hailey really liked it! And she is featured prominently in this post because she is my Gus' Pretzel eater and she was the only person not crying on this adventure. Thank you Hailey!

Some other things...there is no place to sit at Gus's Pretzels. You just order your pretzel items.

Also, Gus' is located near some other cool St. Louis places. It's right across the highway from the Anheuser Busch Brewery. They do free tours. Casey and I have been and found it very interesting and educational, even though we don't drink. The horse stables are beautiful! Gus' is also by the Cherokee Antique Row. I only drove by it, but if I hadn't had three kids with me I would have loved to have peeked my head into a few of the stores.

1 comment:

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!) said...

I absolutely love soft pretzels, so I would've had a great time on this adventure! (However, I agree with you that they aren't my favorite soft pretzel ever. I like the ones at the movie theater as long as they haven't been in the warmer too long – then they get ROCK hard!